CALGARY, Alta. – Hockey Canada has announced that 27 players have been invited to attend Canada’s National Para Hockey Team selection camp, Sept. 3-12 at WinSport Arena at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary.
Four goaltenders, eight defencemen and 15 forwards were selected by head coach Ken Babey (Saskatoon, Sask.) and Marshall Starkman (Thornhill, Ont.), manager of hockey operations with Hockey Canada. Assistant coaches Steve Arsenault (Edmonton, Alta.), Mike Foligno (Sudbury, Ont.) and Russ Herrington (Unionville, Ont.), and goaltending consultant Mike Fountain (Gravenhurst, Ont.) also provided input.
“The unveiling of our selection camp roster is an important first step in our preparations for the 2022 Paralympic Winter Games, and we are excited to kick off the season by welcoming 27 athletes to Calgary,” said Babey. “We know our players will come to camp motivated to compete for a spot on our team for the 2021-22 season.”
The 10-day camp will feature 17 players who won a silver medal at the 2021 IPC World Para Hockey Championship in Ostrava, Czech Republic (Armstrong, Bridges, Cozzolino, Crane, Dunn, Halbert, Henry, Hickey, Jacobs-Webb, Kingsmill, Larocque, Lavin, Lehoux, McGregor, Sison, Smith, Westlake).
“With limited opportunities to gather as a full team over the past 16 months, our athletes and staff are excited to come together for selection camp as we kick off a new season,” said Starkman. “Looking ahead to Beijing, we know this camp will set the tone for the season and allow us to continue to build towards our ultimate goal of winning a gold medal at the Paralympics.”
The support staff that will work with Canada’s National Para Hockey Team at selection camp includes:
- Athletic therapist Charley Hasselaar (Millarville, Alta./University of Calgary, CW)
- Exercise physiologist Nicole Bewski (Winnipeg, Man./CSI Calgary)
- Physiotherapist Michael Lenart (Keswick, Ont.)
- Team physician Dr. Ben Cameron (Summerside, P.E.I.)
- Strength and conditioning coach Bryan Yu (Edmonton, Alta./CSI Calgary)
- Mental performance consultant Kyle McDonald (Regina, Sask.)
- Equipment managers Grant Boswell (Cornwall, P.E.I.) and A.J. Murley (St. John’s, N.L.)
- Guest coaches Maxime Gagnon (Longueuil, Que./Team Quebec Sledge) and Rob Hogg (Carleton Place, Ont./Sledge Team Ontario)
- Hockey operations coordinator Mitchell Furlotte (Bathurst, N.B.)
- Media relations manager Spencer Sharkey (Hamilton, Ont.)
For more information on Hockey Canada and Canada’s National Para Hockey Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along via social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.