Hockey Canada's Shared Respect Initiative has the goal to educate and encourage greater
respect between all participants in the game. Consider your role in showing respect for the game of hockey
and all its participants.
• The safety of the participants in the game is more important than the final score.
• I value the contribution of the coach in developing the players’ talents, even though I may not always
agree with their methods.
• I understand that officials do not make the hockey rules, they only apply them.
• I understand that children learn from adults, and my behavior reflects what I want children to learn.
• I understand that officials are responsible to ensure that the game is played in a safe and fair manner for
• I understand that players, coaches and officials are learning the game, and mistakes will be made in the
• I may not cheer for the opposition team, but I will also not cheer against them or verbally abuse
• I understand that the biggest reason for players and officials quitting the game is abuse.